According to the 2018 Roadmap of State Highway Safety Laws, in 2016 the cost of motor vehicle accidents in Oregon was $1.768 billion, and 495 people died in accidents that year. Attorney Gary R. Johnson brings a unique set of skills when trying car accident cases. Having represented insurance companies for years while working for the Portland-based law firm Hart Wagner, and as head of litigation at Hurley Re in Bend, Gary R. Johnson understands how the insurance companies work and knows how to use this experience to better advocate for those injured in accidents.

  1. Practice Areas

Gary is a very thorough attorney. He works for you so your rights are not violated. He will email you copies so you’re not constantly running to his office. He has your best interest at heart – he actually cares about people. Matter of fact, my daughter just retained his services over a car wreck. Don’t let insurance companies take advantage of you!! Hire Gary and he won’t let them.”

– Heidi, Avvo Review

Five Tips to Know Before You are in a Car Accident

The G.R. Johnson Law firm has the experience and know-how to guide you through the challenges you face when you have been injured in a car accident.

1. Call the Police and Take Photos of:
  • The damage to the vehicles
  • The vehicles’ location
  • Debris on the road at the scene

If you are unable to take photos, ask someone to do it for you.


You may have to file a report with the Oregon DMV. Read Reporting MVAs to DMV to see if one is required.

2. Contact an Attorney ASAP

Contact an attorney early in the process so they can advise you on how to proceed. G.R. Johnson Law firm does not charge for talking with prospective clients.

3. Get Your Medical Bills Paid

Seek medical treatment and follow your doctor’s orders. Your auto insurance company will most likely pay for your accident-related medical expenses under your Personal Injury Protection or “PIP” insurance. For more information, read:

4. Get Reimbursed for Your Lost Income

Your auto insurer may reimburse you for the wages or business income you lose because of your injuries. For more information, read:

5. Get Paid for Your Pain and Suffering

Set up a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company to get paid for your pain and suffering, and mental and emotional distress, or what the law calls “non-economic damages.”


Gary R. Johnson only handles motor vehicle accident cases that occur in Central Oregon so he can personally investigate the accident and meet with his clients. He has tried many cases in Central Oregon and knows how much Central Oregon juries award.


Read Car Accident Case Studies for more information about cases he has handled, or How to Find a Personal Injury Attorney for information on finding the right attorney.


Contact us for more information about a consultation.